Name:
Location: New York, United States

I'm in my mid twenties, married, employed as a nurse, and trying to live my life to the fullest. I feel like i accomplished a lot so far. I'm where i want to be in life right now. I'm happy and i'm looking forward to the future. And i wouldn't want to share it with anyone else but you Kutta!!

Friday, July 15, 2005

Looking Back..............

I'm in a mood to share a little bit more than the usual every day stuff so i'm going to warn you now, this might be a long one :)
First what got me thinking about my past was the story on MSN about A Deployed Soldier's life. http://spaces.msn.com/member/nycclaye I realized that my every day life events are so boring compared to this soldier's life. But i'm definitely NOT taking my life for granted, especially reading his story. I can only pray that this war ends soon..
Anyway so looking back, let me start by saying that i was born in Kerala, India (It's the southern part of India). I did my primary schooling there. One of the things Indians pride themselves over is the value they place on Education. We are very motivated, hard-working people. Unless you are born into a very wealthy family, the only thing that will improve your economic status is getting a decent job usually in a foreign country. Because there is such scarce job opportunities in India. Although that is changing especially in the world of IT. Indian parents drill this motivation into you as soon as you come out of the womb. So We have such competitive nature to do better than the next person. Sometimes ultimately some of us achieve this and others are forever trying to get there or given up all together and brought 'shame' to the family.
Anyway back to my story of how i came to the US. My aunt is a Nurse and she was the first one in our family to come to America. She was recruited during the nursing shortage in the 70's. That's how many of the Indian families came to America, through the big nursing recruitment in the 70's. Thank God for that! I can't even imagine how my life would have been otherwise. Well actually i can and it wouldn't have been that bad. BUT, i like this a whole lot better. Anyway, it's one more reason i went into the nursing profession. Nursing had such positive influence on the life of my whole extended family as well as my husband's. Because that's how my mother-in-law came here, through the nursing recruitment. And just through one person in each of our family, the rest of the siblings and their families were able to come to the US. I can honestly say that the opportunities that we got here have changed all of our lives for the better. The only disadvantage was the fact that my grandparents were left by themselves back in India, especially in their old age. I still regret not being able to be there for my Appachan (grandfather) during his last days and especially not being there for my Ammachi when he passed away. I'll never get over that. It was in May 2002, a few days before my college graduation. So my mom and my aunt both missed my graduation. I remember all the mixed emotions i felt: the pain, the loss, the relief and joy of graduating. I remembered how proud my Dad was that day because i was the first in our family to graduate with a college degree. It gets me so emotional even now thinking about that moment, a few years back. I came a long way from being that lost 11 year old kid that stepped off the plane at JFK back in 1992. The first year here, seventh grade, was the worst year of my life. It took me a good year and a half to learn English, and get somewhat assimilated. It was a rough period there, mostly because I was one of the only few Indians in my school and i didn't have a lot of friends. My guidance counselor was very helpful in getting me through that time. Thank God for her! Adoloscence is a difficult period to begin with and on top of that, i had to go through adjusting to cultural differences & barriers. All throughout my high-school years, i was trying to find myself in terms of assimilating to the American lifestyle withough losing my Indian heritage. I think it was harder for my parents to see the changes that was going on with me. By the time i graduated from high-school, i had a pretty good head on my shoulder. I got accepted to both of the colleges of my choice. But i decided to stay local to attend MSMC and pursue Nursing, mostly because i got a full scholarship. My parents couldn't afford to pay for my tuition so the scholarship helped us tremendously. My senior year was such a turning point in my life. I still can't belive i got a full scholarship. I am so convinced it was not only because i worked very hard during those years but also because of the person i became as a result of the struggles i faced. Looking back now, i think i turned out pretty well, i have a good mix of both cultures and i'm proud to be an Indian-American. And i'm grateful for all the experiences i had, both good and bad because it made me who i am.
Well that was just a small glimpse into my past. Of course, there is a whole lot more to share but some other time. I need to get back to work :(
Take care and God Bless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home